The inexpensive, super-easy, super-food!
Cheesecloth and Rubber Band or Sprouting Lid (lids can be bought on-line or in health-food stores.)
Sprouting Seeds (ie: alfalfa, mung bean, clover, sunflower, almonds, etc.)
Dish-drying rack or some other means to keep jar propped at 45 degree angle
Place 1-3 tablespoons seeds in jar.
Pour pure water to about two inches above seeds.
Affix cheesecloth securely around rim of jar with strong rubber band, or screw on special sprouting lid.
Let rest overnight.
Next morning, up-end jar to let water run out. Rinse twice with pure water.
Now place jar at a 45 degree angle in your drying rack, and lay towel over top so jar is not exposed to light. Be sure not to cover jar-
mouth with towel however. You want air to circulate.
That night, rinse again.
Next morning, night, and morning, rinse again.
In 2-4 days, depending on season/climate, you should have little sprouts. Optimum sprout size is probably ¼ inch or so. Then put them in
a sunny window for a few hours to “green up”. Done!
TEN REASONS TO SPROUT
1. Only Pennies Per Serving
2. Simple and Easy- It take less than 5 minutes per day to grow and prepare sprouts. Sprouts will grow nearly anywhere indoors, in any
season. Sprouts require very little space. They are the ideal vegetables when on the road.
3. Fresh and Fast- This “garden in your kitchen” grows very fast, in any kind of weather.
4. Complete Foods- Sprouts bear the largest relative amount of nutrients per unit of intake of any food known to man. Sprouting
increases the vitamin content of a seed many hundreds of times. The vitamin C value of wheat increases 600% in the early sprouting period.
Sprouts contain more vitamin C than oranges.
5. Tasty and Delicious
6. Highly Nutritious-Several contain more protein than meat. The presence and balance of amino acids makes this protein more digestible.
All sprouts are rich in vitamins, minerals, trace elements, enzymes, and fiber. When exposed to light, several become rich in chlorophyll.
They contain ALL the 3000 enzymes known to man. They contain all the 200 proteins known to man.
7. Low in Calories / Low Fat-One fully-packed cup of alfalfa sprouts contains only 16 calories. These are simple sugars for quick energy.
Sprouts contain no cholesterol and provide several essential fatty acids. Sprouts are the perfect weight-loss and body-purification food.
8. Help Detox your Body-Chlorophyll helps cleanse and oxygenate the blood. Enzymes aid in the digestion and assimilation of nutrients,
and contribute to the body’s life force. Fiber aids elimination and their lecithin helps the body get rid of cholesterol. A raw food diet is one of
the best ways to detox your body.
9. Build your Immune System- Antioxidants help prevent cancer. Antioxidant enzymes are especially important, because they are essential
for the proper function of the immune system. Sprouts are one of the best sources for antioxidants.
10. Environmentally Friendly Foods: free of chemicals, pesticides (buy organic seeds!); most efficient use of water, no soil, little labor.